If I Could Give Just One Piece of Advice to 1985 Me — It would be This

Aside from laying off of the pink and purple eye shadow, it would be to read and learn something, (anything) every single day!

When I think about what has helped me grow personally over the last 30+ years , hands down, it’s been reading books.   It may not sound so exciting on the surface, but let me tell you my friend, it is!

Non-Fiction books teach about our capacity as a human beings and expand our world.  Learning is exercise our brains.  The benefit is the same for our minds as physical exercise is for the muscles in our bodies.   As we age, having a healthy brain becomes increasingly critical for a fulfilling life.

Reading actual paper books is my gig, cover to cover.  For those who can’t stand to read (I know there are many of you out there), downloadable audio books are an easy way to consume knowledge.  You can listen to audio books during your daily commute, while exercising, cooking, cleaning.. or whatever.

Read biographies, how-to’s, psychology, motivational texts, spiritual texts, do-it-yourself or whatever.  It’s all good and it’s all growth. If  we aren’t growing we’re shrinking, and we are shrinking we are dying.  Reading helps us realize just how big our universe is and helps us to realize what we humans are capable of.

Reading as little as 5 pages a day, every day, over the course of a year will gain you the knowledge of 10 books.  In 20 years that’s 200 books! How different might your life be if you were to absorb the knowledge of 200 or so good books?

Today I’m reading T. Harv Eker’s “Secrets of the Millionaire Mind”.  It’s interesting and much more focused on the psychology of spending and saving habits than finance.  It moves quickly and will hold your attention.  In case you are interested, I got mine from Amazon.

IMG_0043

What about you?  If you could dispense a single piece of wisdom to your  18 year old self, what would that be?

Why not share your thoughts here?

Thank You for taking the time to read this.

Be Fearless!

8 Comments Add yours

1. Dee says:

Always love yourself and continue to do things that make you happy…. you have to love yourself first before others❤

1. Kim says:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Loving yourself is so important and something I just learned to do recently myself. Your words are so true. 🙂

2. Doreen says:

For me, the one piece of advice I would dispense to my teenage self, or even my twenty-something self is, this too shall pass. Most hardships we go through in life are relatively short-lived, and for me, have been opportunities for growth, change and improvement.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kim says:

Awesome! I love it.. and think you are right on. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Xo

3. Cindy says:

One piece of advice I would give my teenage self is “don’t sweat the small stuff”. What you may think is the end of the world now and it is at the time but looking back on it from all those years ago, it was just “small stuff”

1. Kim says:

Cindy, Thank you for the comment. That’s a great piece of advice, if only we’d followed it back in the day. Hugs — xoxo — Kim

4. Kathy F says:

Advice to my 30-year younger self would be to STOP and smell the roses. Time spent rushing through activities – particularly the fun ones (vacations, long weekends and the like) – should be savored!

1. Kim says:

Thank you for your advice! It is so true. We do tend to rush through the good stuff. We should savor those memorable moments. Love it. xoxox — hugs to you!